[back to top]

[ :: Read More :: ]

The new options menu with controls documentation is so great to have in the binary exports! :)

There just seems to be a small problem where it says there are "0 joysticks" even though I have one plugged in and it is working fine:

(this is in a exported binary player on Linux)

P#74938 2020-04-18 18:44

Cart #skills_of_detection-1 | 2020-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

i barely finished this in time for the jam, but here it is in its raw form for your enjoyment :)

this was made for Toy Box Jam!

P#71681 2020-01-02 05:11 ( Edited 2020-01-02 05:12)

Cart #xmasfish-1 | 2019-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my entry for the 2019 Advent Calendar =^w^=

Controls

• Up/Down/Left/Right: move
  • O: do actions
  • X: show/hide inventory

Backstory

My wife Aubrianne wrote a 100% completely original poem which provides the deep lore behind this game:

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the sea
Not a creature was swimming, not you and not me;
The lights were all strung on the coral with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The wee fry were nestled all snug in their beds;
While visions of sugar-worms danced in their heads;
When up from the surface there came such a splashing,
I sprang from my bed to see what could be happening.

Up, up to the top I swam like a flash,
Looked up through the ripples, popped up with a splash.
When what to my protruding eyes did appear,
But a crash-landed sleigh and eight whiplashed rein-deer,
With a little old driver so frantic and quick,
I knew in a moment he must be St. Nick.

They paddled like puppies, his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:
"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on, Cupid! on, Donner and Blitzen!
To the shore of the beach! to this lonely atoll!
Now swim on up! swim on up! swim on up all!"
As awkward as kittens dropped into a bath,
They bobbed and they flailed and sought for a path;

And then, in a twinkling, reindeer on the beach
Were prancing and pawing the sand with relief.
As I dipped 'neath the waves, and was turning around,
Into the water St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, which was quite a blunder,
His clothes got all soaked and were pulling him under;
I was quite astonished to hear him call out
to me he was waving and said with a shout

"What ho, my good fish! You've been very good!
I'm here to bring gifts to your fine neighborhood!
But, alas! All the presents I brought for your friends
Have been lost at sea and I might get the bends.
Our tanks are all dented, and I very much fear
we have only wetsuits for seven reindeer.
Dasher, that rascal, lost his on that trip
we took to Fiji on our polar cruise ship.

"My friend, will you help me? I'm in dire straits
For all o'er the world empty stockings await
Will you find all the gifts and deliver each one?
Will you wear the red hat and make Christmas come?"
I solemnly blooped and I bubbled assent
I would see it through to the very last present!

His hand rose up all the way to his head
and came down again with his fine cap of red
He gave it to me and he said with a sigh,
"You're Santa now, fish. You are the guy!"
With a wink of his eye, he gave me a smile
I knew I had nothing to fear from this trial;
He sloshed to the beach, and tapped his red nose
The sleigh came together and in the air rose

He sprang right aboard, the reindeer all heartened,
And away they all flew, as fast as a marlin.
But I heard him exclaim, as I floated, awestruck—
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all, best of luck!”

Credits/Special Thanks

P#70507 2019-12-03 04:20 ( Edited 2019-12-12 01:18)

The new (just noticed it changed today) HTML player here on the BBS doesn't seem to be able to keep a steady 60 FPS

I can really feel a bunch of frame jitter when playing Alfonzo's Bowling Challenge and it makes the physics feel very noticeably off

(testing on a MacBook Pro in both Chrome and Firefox. The old exported HTML version (0.1.12c) on itch still runs smoothly on this same computer)

P#70123 2019-11-22 21:50 ( Edited 2019-11-22 21:57)

The layout of the clickable buttons (fullscreen, control help, mute, etc.) on the side in the 0.1.12c version of HTML exports appears to have broken in Google Chrome all of the sudden. All of the buttons now appear stacked on top of each other :\

screenshot:

The layout still works in Firefox. I guess Chrome recently changed their interpretation of CSS rules in a way that broke this?

P#69825 2019-11-11 22:13 ( Edited 2019-11-11 22:14)

Cart #ghosthouse-0 | 2019-10-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

here is my submission for Spooky September 4-Color Jam!

it was a collaboration between me and my wife; she drew all the amazing background art! (using a vector drawing tool I made)

enjoy, and happy september/october/autumntimes! :>

P#68310 2019-10-01 01:25

The BBS PICO-8 player is showing up blurry in Chrome on macOS.

(version 76.0.3809.100)

This seems like it might be a bug with Chrome, not this site, but I'm posting it here just in case...

The other puzzling factor is that this started happening all of the sudden, without updating Chrome or anything, e.g. I had the same Chrome session running and at some point this started happening. I then tried restarting my computer and it's still happening.

Screenshot

A Workaround (as a user)

1. Use "inspect element" on the canvas (e.g. push Option + Cmd + I, click the hover tool thing, and then click on the canvas)
  2. uncheck image-rendering: pixelated
  3. check it again

That fixes it for some reason :| It makes no sense, which makes me think it's Chrome's fault.

(EDIT: actually sometimes unchecking/checking that CSS rule makes the canvas start flickering like crazy...uggh)

More Info

• It works fine on the big TV player on the front page (in macOS Chrome)
  • It works fine in HTML exports of carts (in macOS Chrome)
  • It works fine in Firefox on macOS
  • It works fine in Chrome on Linux
  • It works fine in Chrome on Android

anyway this is lame and I hope it magically starts working again soon :p

P#66464 2019-08-08 23:45 ( Edited 2019-08-09 05:57)

P#66371 2019-08-05 00:13

feature request: a keyboard shortcut to switch tabs/pages of the sprite editor. Something like a Page Up/Down.

(if this already exists, someone please let me know!)

holding W technically works but it takes foreverrrr :)

edit: WHOAA I just discovered you can hold Shift + Q/W to go up/down which is a much better workaround! Still I think if there are tabs which are selectable via mouse, they should also be selectable via keyboard somehow.

P#65755 2019-07-11 00:42 ( Edited 2019-07-11 00:45)

The other day I listened to @Gruber's nice transcription of Giant Steps and I felt inspired, so here's another late-1950s jazz standard, this time from the great Dizzy Gillespie: "Con Alma".

My transcription is based on the version from the album Duets (1958) with Dizzy (trumpet) and Sonny Stitt (tenor sax).

I of course didn't have room for all the solos (the recording is over 9 minutes long), so I picked my favorite sections, but otherwise tried to stay faithful to their improvisations. I also made a loop out of the whole thing, so I didn't have to try to make room for the ending :)

It can be quite challenging and awkward trying to mimic the expressive, organic sound (and swung rhythm) of wind instruments with PICO-8's limited beeps and boops, but I'm pretty happy with the result, considering the medium :D

[sfx]

P#65402 2019-06-26 03:05

Scenario 1 (correct, IMHO)

1. In the music editor, use the keyboard to select a note in a channel
  2. Switch to the SFX editor using the keyboard (Alt + left)

Result: The SFX which the cursor was in (in step 1) is selected in the SFX editor.

Scenario 2 (correct, IMHO)

1. In the music editor, use the keyboard to select a note in a channel
  2. Switch to the SFX editor using the mouse (click on the SFX tab)

Result: The SFX which the cursor was in (in step 1) is selected in the SFX editor.

Scenario 3 (correct, IMHO)

1. In the music editor, use the mouse to select a note in a channel
  2. Switch to the SFX editor using the keyboard

Scenario 4 (bug, IMHO)

1. In the music editor, use the mouse to select a note in a channel
  2. Switch to the SFX editor using the mouse (click on the SFX tab)

Result: The SFX which the cursor was in (in step 1) is NOT selected in the SFX editor. It looks like whichever SFX was previously selected in the SFX editor is there...or something. It's not what I expect.

Summary

• If the keyboard is used to select the note in the music editor, that SFX will be selected when switching to the SFX editor regardless of whether keyboard or mouse was used to switch to the editor
  • If the mouse is used to select the note in the music editor, that SFX is only selected if switching to the editor with the keyboard, which feels unintuitive/buggy.
  • this is in version 0.1.12c
P#65300 2019-06-20 00:48 ( Edited 2019-06-20 00:53)

Whereas in PICO-8 v0.1.11 it was possible to run a cart at 60 FPS and get a higher sampling frequency (than at 30 FPS) when querying the value of stat(26) (i.e. number of ticks played on current pattern), it seems that in v0.1.12 this behavior has been changed so that in 60 FPS the stat(26) value still only updates 30 times per second.

What led to my discovering this was that I thought I perceived a visual difference when using v0.1.12 to run part of my "Not A Creature Was Stirring" cart that uses stat(26) ticks as the input for some easing functions, so I created a standalone test cart and ran it in both v0.1.11 and v0.1.12 and it looks like the behavior has indeed changed.

Here's a test cart. Try changing the "_update60" function to "_update" and see that in v0.1.12 the average diff between sampled ticks (only counting when there is an actual change) is the same (roughly 5.59) either way. But if you run the same cart (I had to change the cart version to 16 to do this) in v0.1.11 you can see that in 60 FPS mode, the average diff between sampled ticks is roughly half (about 2.8), which is better for syncing things to music.

Cart #jigudetipo-0 | 2019-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

EDIT: oh well now that I see it on the web, it seems the 0.1.12c web player does not have this bug :D (it says about 2.8 for me) so apparently the problem is only with the native (I'm using Linux btw) version?

P#63742 2019-04-20 23:12 ( Edited 2019-04-20 23:16)

The changelog for v0.1.11c (from a year or so ago) says:

> Added: F11 to toggle fullscreen

...but F11 has never actually worked in any version of PICO-8 so far, to my knowledge. Alt + Enter is still the only way to do fullscreen.

So I'm just making a bug report to track this, and as a reminder in case a fix might make it into 0.1.12b or something ;)

P#63468 2019-04-13 00:19

found a bug in the config for the new v0.1.12: "gui_theme 2" is actually black but it looks like anything higher than 2 is grey now, as if the grey and black swapped :)

the dark blue is pretty nice as the new default btw!

P#63421 2019-04-12 00:50

Cart #castlesofcake-1 | 2019-01-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

One of my favorite hobbies of late is trying to transcribe/approximate existing music into PICO-8's tiny tracker, so here is my attempt at "Castles of Cake" from my favorite kirby game, Kirby's Dream Course :D

Technically Interesting Note: I am doing some slightly sneaky swapping of SFX after the intro so I can use a couple of different SFX instruments that are only in the intro and not used in the rest of the song

P#60999 2019-01-19 20:39 ( Edited 2019-01-19 21:51)

Cart #charmunch-5 | 2019-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I saw this tweet by Polyducks and felt inspired/compelled to make something like it in PICO-8:

https://twitter.com/Polyducks/status/1082764062998581248

:>

EDIT 2019-05-18: added new version with refined color palette and adjustable speed (using left/right), moved out of WIP

EDIT 2019-06-13: decided I was not quite done with this :p, refined color palette again, adjusted muncher movement, added ability to add/remove munchers, switched to 60 FPS

This is like a screensaver that you can just watch, but it also has some controls:

O/X change to a new random poop type
   up/down increase/decrease number of munchers
right/left increase/decrease speed
P#60722 2019-01-09 20:30 ( Edited 2019-06-14 03:05)

@zep
(FYI we've pinged you in the secret discord server about this, but maybe you have those notifications turned off or something, so I'm posting it here for you to see)

The Advent Calendar 2018 cart hasn't been showing up in SPLORE since sometime Thursday night/Friday morning UTC, I think (around the time I posted my Day 7 cart). I also cannot find it via the search in SPLORE. (I've only been able to get to it because my Day 7 cart has a link to it in the menu :)

Also the thumbnail that shows for the BBS thread (and in pinned posts at the top) is wrong; I think both of these things started happening at the same time, so I'm wondering if they are perhaps related?

P#59940 2018-12-12 19:58 ( Edited 2018-12-12 19:59)

Cart #nacwseswahmmm-2 | 2018-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Not A Creature Was Stirring (...Except Squeaky Whiskerson and his Marvelous Musical Mice!)

This is my cart for Day 7 of the 2018 PICO-8 Advent Calendar project!

Turn up your speakers!

P#59784 2018-12-07 01:46 ( Edited 2018-12-07 02:31)

The fullscreen button on the mobile web interface seems to have broken all of a sudden. Instead of displaying the screen, the fullscreen icon itself is displayed really big, stretched to fill the screen XD it's actually pretty funny.

(it's actually a pretty critical issue though because the mobile controls are super buggy and unreliable unless you're in fullscreen mode)

P#59717 2018-12-05 16:41 ( Edited 2018-12-05 17:54)

Using Chrome on Android (on a Pixel 2 so this is the latest version of OS and browser) when I hold down a button (including d-pad buttons) on the mobile web button overlay (in fullscreen mode), it now causes a vibration as if I am selecting text on the page. I'm guessing it thinks it is selecting some invisible text in the overlay or something...there is no visual indication of text highlight. I can definitely say this did not happen on the previous version of the BBS.

Sorry for all the bug reports, lol. I hope the info helps :D

P#59521 2018-12-01 05:43 ( Edited 2018-12-01 05:49)

View Older Posts